How to service boat trailer brakes is a question many boaters ask when the time comes to change their brakes on their vessel. If you are in this situation, the answer will probably be simpler than you think – if you know where to look.
- Brake Fluid: Brake fluid should be changed periodically and it should always be topped up. The reason for this is that brake fluids can become too concentrated over time.
- Wheel Bearings: One of the most critical parts of a wheel system is the wheel bearing. You want to make sure that these bearings are properly lubricated as they can wear out much easier than other parts of the system.
- Trailer Brakes – There are several simple steps you can take to make sure your brakes function properly. For instance, to properly oil your brakes you need to remove the bottom two tiers (if your boat has them).
With the two tires removed, you need to apply a little oil to the wheel hubs. Next, you will need to turn the engine off and then let the engine cool off before reattaching the wheels to the hub assembly. Use caution when applying oil to your steering rack – it can cause a dangerous build-up and damage the bearing housing.
- Oiling: Next, turn on your engine again and then run a small hose along the top of the hub assembly, securing it in place using a nut. Next, apply a small amount of engine oil to the centre of the wheel hub assembly until it runs smoothly. You may need to use a hand pump to prevent excess oil from leaking onto the hub assembly.
How to service boat trailer brakes can be difficult – especially when you’re unfamiliar with the various components of the system. If you’re trying to find a reliable service provider, you’ll need to check that company’s reputation in a variety of different ways – they may have been in the industry for a long time, have a great reputation, or be owned by an established manufacturer.
Reputable Service Provider
A good, trusted, and reputable service provider will be able to provide a detailed list of their products and services. You will also find that this service provider will have access to a team of professionals who are well-trained, skilled, and insured depending on the type of service they offer. Finally, you’ll also find that a good, dependable service provider will have access to a fleet of tow trucks and other vehicles that have a variety of different sizes, shapes and types of towable trailers. that are used daily.
If a company’s reputation is lacking you may want to ask for a referral from someone you know that using their services. You should also consider checking with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to see if there are any complaints filed against the company in the past.
There are a few other things that you can do to improve the performance of your brake fluid. This includes changing it every so often, cleaning it of debris, and keeping the hoses clean and clear.
- Changing Your Fluids: The frequency by which you change your fluid depends on what your vehicle is capable of doing. If your brakes are new, then you may need to change the fluid every three months for the life of the engine and brake rotors.
- Cleaning the Hoses: You can use an auto washer to clear the hoses of debris and keep your noses clean, but you also need to clean the hoses thoroughly before you can clean the lines of the hoses as well. For older boats, you will find that your hoses can be difficult to get to clean with the regular hose. If you find that they are not easily accessible, you can use a hose reel to pull the hoses away from the firewall. For the hoses to be clean, you will want to run a dip of water along the hose end and then use a rag to clean all the debris away.